Monday, March 15, 2010

Spring Fever!

Well I started this blog last year at the beginning of the spring season and didn't do a darn thing with it after that.  I learned a few things about my garden skills (or lack there of) last year and ready to correct my mistakes and probably make a few new ones along the way.  Hopefully this time I'll keep up with my blog if only for myself so i remember the journey along the way.

So... in January of 2010 i planned out my garden and decided which things I wanted to do differently.  So the first thing I wanted to change was my seedling process.  I started a few things indoors but it didnt work out well.  A few peat pots in a sunny window just wasnt cutting it, not to mention trying to remember to keep the door to my office closed so the kitties didnt raid it - which did happen and my chili plant never seemed to really recover from it.

This year I decided it was time to put some real effort into indoor starts.  With a little help from a co-worker, I rigged up some flourescent grow lights hanging from chains in my basement.  I used my stored patio table, since it would be sitting down there until spring anyway.  I bought a Burpee Pot Maker so that I could make my own starter pots and they are holding up fairly well so far.  I also have been saving yogurt containers, since our state doesnt recycle them anyway.  I got a few broccolis, onions and a little box of lettuce (just for experimentation purposes for next year) back in January, and over the weekend started a BUNCH of seedlings.  During the planning phase I used a google calendar application to plan out exactly when i need to start seedlings, transplant, etc.  Its really helpful and now that March is here most weekends have at least something to do on the calendar. 

Here's a couple of pics of my indoor start ups.

Here's my adustable light table.  The lights can move up easily as the plants grow taller.  You might be wondering about the interesting surrounding that looks like a vampire's torture device.  It's a frame with stakes attached to hold up bird netting.  Why bird netting in a basement?  I have a kitty that has access and she is a fiend for greens.  She will pass right by a can of tuna to get one tiny leaf of lettuce.  So far this has managed to deter her.  It could be prettier, but this was cheaply put together with materials we already had.



















Here are the broccoli & onions started a few weeks back.  I had 3 broccolis that didnt quite make it so I restarted those.



























Now onto the next batch. Lettuce, Swiss Chard, Parsley, Eggplant, Chili Peppers & Jalapenos, and a few more broccoli.


Organic Seed Starting Mix

Filling up the pots
Ready to germinate on top of the fridge, then I can move down to the grow lights!


3 comments:

  1. How long will you let your sprouts grow indoors before transplanting them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends actually. When I made my plan I followed the guidelines in the back of Mel's book for the planting schedule for continuous crops. For example, the first broccoli seedlings were started 16 weeks before the last frost date for my area, and the plants will go in the ground at 4 weeks before my last frost date (since Broccoli like cooler weather). The first seedlings as shown in my photo will go out at the end of march, and the ones I just started will go outside next month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its good to see a fellow SGQ with a blog to follow. I enjoy learning from everyone on board. Keep up the pictures and ideas.

    ReplyDelete