Saturday, April 18, 2009

Getting Set Up

So I've spent the last few weeks trying to get my garden ready. Did the research, plotted out my garden on graph paper, and started some seedlings. The broccoli & onion seedlings didn't seem to make it, still trying to figure out how I went wrong there.

I built 2 4' x 6' boxes out of recycled wood from used shipping pallets. Last weekend I made my Mel's Mix after doing some searching around for the right stuff. Unfortunately I did not find 5 different composts, but I found a good bagged "compost" from several sources and mixed that in with some composted manure. Hope it works. I just used straight compost in the bottom 6" of the section where the root veggies will go, so that is a bit of an experiment. I had extra compost but not enough of the rest of the stuff. I put down some cardboard around my boxes to kill the grass underneath and mulched all around. The boxes are just outside of my side door, right off my kitchen and basically our main entrance. I've snaked soaker hoses through the boxes, buried them just a few inches down. They are roughly just under where my grid lines fall.

I hope to get hubby to help me build a cute little fence around it and HOPEFULLY I can get some things to grow. Last night I bought 4 new broccoli seedlings and put them, as well as purchased onions in the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment