This week has been another cold, snowy, miserable week. I can't remember when I've longed for spring so badly. I certainly will be ready when it gets here! I've spent the last few hours tweaking my final garden layout and updating my google calendar with all the dates of my "to do" list. I also took stock of all my seed packets, I've grown quite a collection of those. I won't be opening them all this year, that's for sure, but at least now I have a comprehensive list. I don't need to buy any new seed packets with the exception of spinach. I've either misplaced them or used them all last year.
I'm really happy with my new garden layout on paper, I just have to get the work done in real space. In a few days I'll try to scan and upload my paper version here. The two table boxes are complete, in place and filled with soil ready to go. I also have the strawberry boxes in place with last years plants tucked under some hay for their winter sleep. I'm just going to add a 8" round plastic "pot" on top of the square boxes to get a mini pyramid look. I say pot in quotes because I'm going to cut apart a white trash can that I used last year for pototos (that didn't really do well).
I still have to build and fill (3) new 2' x 6' boxes. I went to Lowe's a few weeks ago to get the lumber but most of what they had was crappy, and the in store saw was out of order. If I get them to cut down the boards then I don't have to attempt using the saw myself. I like my fingers, I want to keep them. I'll have to go back or try a REAL lumber store. This will be the first year I actually PURCHASE wood for my boxes, since I've been repurposing lumber in the past :) Yes that's much greener but this year I want my boxes to be pretty too. We did repurpose the lumber we used to build the tables and it looks ok, but I think a nice paint job on the outside once it warms up with make it look much better. I'm also repurposing these aluminum "things" for my trellis. I'll have to post pictures in the spring of the "things", I don't really know what else to call them. They look sort of like the side of a crib really, my mom got them from some of her neighbors. They are used on the new houses when a patio was not installed off the back door. It's attached to keep people from using the sliding door when there is a long dropoff the back of the house.
So I'm a bit worried about getting my boxes done and get the soil ready in time for the early spring sowing of peas. My lettuce, spinach & swiss chard will be in the table boxes so I should be ok there. Since my MM (aka soil) is still frozen solid in the wheelbarrow, I just don't know what's going to happen if this darn snow doesn't go away. I did cover it up with some plastic to help warm it up when the snow finally melts. Oh well... I guess we shall see. I took some photos on Tuesday before the latest snow storm when we had a warm day (it made it all the way to 40!). I took the opportunity to throw some plastic over the tables and the old bed and wheelbarrow that have the soil for the new beds.
| Ugggg... I can't wait for an after picture. |
| High tech indoor greenhouse :) |
And here is a closeup inside the "dome" to see the progress...........................
And here is a closeup inside the "dome" to see the progress...........................
| 1.25.11 1.29.11 |
I'm also going to start some lettuce this weekend and experiment with how well it will do in the basement for a bit. Nothing ventured nothing gained!
It looks like January!
ReplyDeleteThe exact same thing happened to my spinach. Poof, gone and I know I didn't use it all.
The Table Tops look inviting.
I am trying to bide my time before starting tomatoes. Mine need to go outside as often as possible or they get leggy. It's tough. In the mean time I am trying to be content with micro greens in old sieves and with winter sowing herbs. The graph paper planning has been helpful.
Get dirty Jen!
Looks good, except for the whole snow thing. I'll be starting my seeds this weekend, can't wait!
ReplyDeleteI use a spread sheet with the rows and columns the same size to make them square to use as my graph paper. I change things around so much that I was going through more paper than I needed! I'd be lost without it now.
What maters are you growing?
Tomato List for 2011 as follows...
ReplyDelete(2) Rutgers Ramapo
(2) Rutgers Moreton
(2) Cherokee Purple
(2) Virginia Sweets
(2) Opalka
(2) Super San Marzano
(1) Cherry. I was going to Chadwick Cherry, but Quiltbea is sending me black cherry tomato seeds so I'm going to try those instead. I only want to do one variety of cherry because last year I was overrun with them and hubby won't eat them.